Late Returns

What should you do if you have not filed your tax return for one or more years?  File the tax returns.  You should file the tax returns as soon as possible even if you owe money and can not pay, and even if you are due a refund.

If you owe, depending on your individual circumstances, you may qualify for a payment plan or other relief. However, interest and penalties increase the longer you wait to file.

If you are due a refund, there is no penalty, but, if you wait too long, you will loose the refund.  In order to receive a refund, the return must be filed within 3 years of the due date.

Taxpayers who repeatedly fail to file tax returns and fail to respond to IRS requests for a return may be subject to a variety of enforcement actions, additional penalties, and even criminal prosecution.

We can assist you in preparing and filing late federal and state tax returns and dealing with any related IRS or state notices you may have received.

Comments are closed.